Rental Qualification Criteria
Rental Application Overview
A complete application must be submitted by each potential occupant eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- All applications must be completed and signed by the individual (as in, cannot be completed by anyone but the individual)
- Application fees* must be paid before the application will be considered completed and can be processed.
- Application fees are non-refundable.
- The application, even if accepted, shall under no circumstances be considered a lease agreement between applicant and the owner of the property or an offer to lease.
|Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Texas||$30 per household|
Verification of Identity:
- Valid government issued identification (front and back of identification card) must be uploaded at the end of this application.
- A valid Social Security number is required, and a copy of the Social Security Card (front and back of identification card) must be uploaded at the end of this application.
- For non-US citizens, a work ID number (Alien Registration #, USCIS or I-94 Admission #) will be accepted in place of a Social Security number.
Verification of Residency History:
- Residence history of two (2) years with a minimum of six (6) months at current residence is required.
- Automatic denial for previous eviction within the last five (5) years.
- Must have less than one thousand dollars ($1000) total unpaid balances reported on past rentals.
- No more than an average of one (1) late payment reported as late over twelve (12) months.
- No more than one prior landlord reporting a security deposit not returned.
- No prior landlord reporting “proper move-out notice not received.”
- No prior landlord reporting “would not rent again.”
- Current gross monthly income is at least 3x monthly rent OR savings/investment account balances sufficient to pay 6 months’ rent.
- Documentation requirements as described in the table below.
|Type of Income||Preferred Proof||Other Options|
|Employment by third party||Most 3 recent pay stubs showing TD income or if paid weekly, last 4 recent paystubs showing YTD income.||Bank statement showing consistent income deposits for a 6-month period|
|Self Employed Income**||Most recent tax return and the previous 2 month’s bank statements||Bank statement showing consistent deposits for a 6-month period|
|Seasonal Income||Most recent tax return||2 years W2s|
|Child support / Alimony or any court ordered payment||Bank statement showing consistent deposits for a 6-month period|
|Other: Grants, pensions, GI benefits, disability, Social Security||Current award letter/benefit statement with check stub||Bank statement showing consistent benefit deposits for a 6-month period|
|Savings Account / Investments||Bank or Investment statements with account balances equal to at least 6 months of rent*|
*For some properties, account balances must be no less than the sum of all rental payments for the full lease term. To determine if this requirement is applicable to a particular property, please contact us prior to applying.
**For self-employed individuals, additional move-in funds may be required. This is not to exceed six (6) month’s rent upfront, depending on the state where the property is located.
- Manager’s authorized credit reporting services vendor will be used to evaluate tenants. Outside credit reports cannot be substituted.
- All occupants eighteen (18) and over must have their credit and criminal reports run regardless of employment status or financial responsibility for rent payments.
- Income and credit history will be entered into a credit scoring model to determine rental eligibility and security deposit levels.
- Must have established credit history.
- The minimum credit score is 500. Applicants with a credit score of 500-549 will be required to pay an additional security deposit and prepaid last month’s rent equal to the monthly rental amount if the Manager’s system provides the recommendation to accept the household’s application. Applicants with a credit score of 550-599 will be required to pay a security deposit equal to one and a half times (1.5x) the monthly rental amount and a prepaid last month’s rent. Applicants with a credit score of 600 and above will be required to pay a security deposit equal to one times (1x) the monthly rental amount and may be requested to also pay a prepaid last month’s rent on a case-by-case basis.
- Some history of collections is acceptable but no outstanding landlord or essential utility collections (Essential utilities include electric, water, natural gas, sewer…).
- Past due debt not to exceed two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500).
- Any applicant with an eviction within the last three (3) years or a landlord judgment for past due rent will be denied.
- Discharged bankruptcies are excluded and will not count against an applicant’s score if dated over seven (7) years.
- For some properties, a dismissed bankruptcy in the last six (6) years or a currently open foreclosure may result in denial. Please contact us prior to applying to determine if these criteria are applicable to a particular property.
- Any felony conviction and/or sexual offenses will result in automatic denial.
- Automatic denial for status of registered sex offender.
- History of repeat criminal convictions or charges may result in denial.
- The company does not reject applicants based on arrest records; however, the right is reserved to deny an application for any criminal activity that illustrates a demonstrable risk to safety of other persons and/or the property. In determining whether an applicant poses a demonstrable risk, Knox considers, amongst other things the following:
- the facts or circumstances surrounding the criminal conduct,
- the age of the individual at the time of the conduct,
- evidence that the individual maintained a good tenant history before and/or after the conviction or conduct,
- and evidence of rehabilitation efforts.
- Guarantor or co-signers cannot be used as a substitute for this requirement.
- Any drug-related crimes involving manufacture or distribution will result in automatic denial.
- Misdemeanor in the last seven (7) years, excluding minor infractions classified as traffic, DUI, alcohol-related offense (non-traffic), or animal/wildlife offense, will result in automatic denial.
OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control Check):
- A direct hit will be reported to authorities in compliance with the US Patriot Act. Direct hits will cause the application to be denied.
- The maximum number of adults allowed to occupy a dwelling is two times (2x) the number of bedrooms in the dwelling. The limits may be increased or decreased by local law or ordinance.
- Applications will be processed in the order received, and Manager will continue to accept applications until a holding deposit is paid or lease agreement is signed.
- Rental rate offers higher than asking rent may be considered.
- Applications will be processed in approximately 48 to 72 business hours.
- All move-in funds (first month’s rent or required proration and security deposit) are to be paid electronically, as outlined by the Manager. A security deposit will be due at the time of lease signing, also paid electronically and will be held by a 3rd party escrow agent.
- Applicant will pay the prorated amount of rent for the month if move-in is on or before the 15th of the month. Applicants that move-in after the 15th will pay the prorated amount of rent plus the next full month’s rent.
- Renters insurance is required for all tenants and is required for all pet owners.
- Any falsification in applicant’s paperwork will result in the automatic denial of application. In the event an applicant falsifies his/her paperwork, Manager has the right to hold all deposits and fees paid to apply toward any damages.
- Applicants must be able to put utilities in their own name and will be responsible for all utilities (subject to local laws) on the property. Utilities are required to be transferred into the tenant’s name on the date of the move in. Any deposits needed for utility activation is a responsibility of the tenant.
- Landlord reserves the right to allow pets on a case by case basis, dependent on property type, size, pet type and pet disposition. No more than two (2) pets may reside in one property. All pets are subject to a pet fee. *Please provide documentation for exceptions to pet fees and insurance as it relates to service animals and emotional support animals
- Landlord requires all tenants with pets to first obtain permission from landlord, complete a Pet Addendum, and understand and abide by the rules outlined in the addendum, even if no pet at time of move-in.
- Acceptable pets include dogs and cats. Requests to keep pets of any other type must be presented to Manager in writing. Any animal may be deemed unacceptable by Manager if it is not considered an appropriate pet for the rental situation. For example, unacceptable pets include, without limitation, exotic, poisonous or otherwise dangerous pets that may injure people, property or other pets. All pets must be able to be restrained by leash, carrier or cage. Disputes regarding unacceptable pets can be resolved by providing the appropriate proof of insurance along with a letter of temperament from your veterinarian.
- The following is a list of dog breeds that are not acceptable:
- Stafford Terrier
- Wolf Hybrid
- Doberman Pinscher
- Chow Chow
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- OR any breed which include a percentage or mix of any of the breeds above
- All pet owners must have the appropriate proof of insurance that includes the pet along with a current license/registration records, photo of pet, and proof of current shot records from a licensed veterinarian if applicable.
- Each tenant who wishes to keep a pet must pay a pet security deposit, separate from their household security deposit also connected to their lease. The tenant further understands that if damages caused by the pet exceed the amount of the security deposit (as defined in lease agreement), then the tenant is responsible for the total amount of damage caused by the pet(s).
- Pet rent and pet deposit is charged according to local ordinance. Deposits will be held and returned in compliance with all State and Federal Laws.
Manager accepts applicants with third party rental assistance. Applicant must have the following completed prior to the property being considered their future address and understands that Manager may have an application processed in parallel:
- Complete Manager’s Rental Application.
- Assuming credit and background is approved, complete the property owner package: Tenant-applicant head of household to complete rental packet where prompted, pass in to Manager. Manager to complete along with proof of ownership documents to the Public Housing Authority (PHA) along with any necessary supporting documentation.
- Schedule an inspection: Once PHA approves rent from receipt of packet, the housing authority schedules an inspection of the premises. The property must pass inspection in order for a lease to be prepared.
- Sign the lease and provide upfront funding: Once PHA approves the participant, a Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract will be sent for the tenant to sign as an addendum to the lease. In tandem with the lease being signed, first month’s rent and one full month security is due. If unavailable by subsidy, these payments are to be made out of pocket.